Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What Am I Doing While We Wait...

As we wait, I have been keeping myself busy learning the Korean language - there is a lot to learn!  I hope to at least be able to understand him (simple sentences or words) and communicate.  To some this would be a scary thing, but to me I find it an adventure and want to represent our country and agency well (so I am even learning all about the Korean culture).

I have also been learning how to cook Korean food.  I figured the best way to know what I will want to eat when we arrive is to try cooking it myself.  It will also be a great way to connect with Jacob and help him hold onto his culture.  The good news for us is that we have a World Market!  Such an amazing place.  I was able to find Korean cookies, seasoning packets for different Korean dishes, and other amazing things.  So far my cooking adventures have went well.  I am taking it slow, but it is so much fun!  So far I have cooked hoddeok (sweet pancakes), bulgogi (Korean barbque), and salgussam (walnuts wrapped in dried apricots).  Everything I have cooked we have loved (so a success)!!!

Salgussam (walnuts wrapped in dried apricots) - an appetizer or snack (very yummy)!!!

The cookies I found at the World Market (so good - chocolate in the middle)!!!

My take on bulgogi (Korean beef barbque) with rice - cooked the meat with a seasoning packet for Korean barbque and decided it smelled so good to cook my veggies in that seasoning too (so so good)!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment